Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Can anyone recommend a magazine for kids 5-12? I no longer subscribe to Highlights.?

I recently canceled my subscription to Hightlights for Children Magazine. Over the years it has included more and more spiritual/religious content. The November issue contained a very detailed description about the celebration of ';the day of the dead';.


Being a Christian, I object to the introduction of that sort of material to my youngsters (ages 2,6,8,10,12), particularly without a Christian perspective. I could site other examples (including an introduction to Ramadan a few months ago).


I would like to find a magazine for ages 5-12 that is explicitly Christian, with a Christian leaning, or neutral in terms of religion. Any help would be very much appreciated.Can anyone recommend a magazine for kids 5-12? I no longer subscribe to Highlights.?
Pack O Fun is good - sometimes they have Bible crafts, but not all the time. I didn't know that stuff happened to Highlights - it used to be so good, but I haven't taught elementary school in a long time, so I've been away from it...


There's a kids' National Geographic, but I don't know the name. I've seen a few issues and they look great.Can anyone recommend a magazine for kids 5-12? I no longer subscribe to Highlights.?
Hmmm...well if your kids are girls, you might try American girls. They operate similairly to the girl scouts and I know the girl scouts are a Christian group. Anywho, it's a really wholesome magazine.





If you want something that's neutral try Sports illustrated for kids, discovery for kids, ummm....That's all I can think of right now.
the one right before ester every year is a very christian perspective.


my family has always had a respect for what others beleve, and we think its great to see some thing from another perspective. (i know i have bad spelling) i dont know why you are so offended with highlights for showing what other people beleve, do you beleve in freedom of speach? or do you beleve people should have freedom of speach only when you agree with every thing they say?
What have you got against your kids learning about other belief systems? How horrible of you.
mY CHILDREN ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE ';FRIEND';.


once a month for only 8$ a year. AND CHRISTIAN BASED.
i was going to suggest nickelodeon magazine, but then i read the details in the question. never mind that, i'm not sure about the cleanliness of nickelodeon magazine. my daughter, 5, has a subscription to zoobooks. it's pretty good!
http://monroe.lib.in.us/childrens/kidsma鈥?/a> This site lists several magazines for children. It also gives websites where you can learn more about each magazine. I'm sure most are religious neutral, but please don't confuse learning about a foreign (unknown) culture the same as anti-christian. Learning what other people believe is NOT a bad thing. The Day of the Dead is simply a celebration of loved ones who have passed on, try to be a little more open minded, and allow your children to learn about other cultures. You can explain that you do not believe that, and do not celebrate it and you can explain why. (not just ';cuz I said so';.)
ZOOBOOKS! yay
I am glad to know this. I recently got a letter from my christian private school. They were advertising 15.00 subscriptions but when highlights sent the bill it was 20,00 so I said no thanks and cancelled. I notice alot of christians are promoting ';worldly exposure'; to our young kids. My sons private school is encouraging interest in worldly events. I kinda dont like it. I think texans are proud of texas because our teachers didnt give a dam about other states so we just knew about texas and thought we were the best. Of course you learn more in high school and college but that pride stayed with us. good luck in finding a magizine. I would like to know if you find one.

No comments:

Post a Comment